Multi-Purpose Space Expansion
A major fundraising project is just getting underway to raise funds for a 3960 sq. ft. multi-purpose space expansion at Vic Juba Community Theatre. The estimated cost of this multi-year fundraising project is $1,100,000. The new space will be used for rehearsals by local dance groups, dance festivals, schools, and theatrical productions. This multi-purpose space will also be used for meet-and-greet receptions with touring artists as well as community events such as music festival and small cabaret events with tables and chairs. The expansion will be built on the west side near the Theatre’s backstage door.
The Expansion Is Needed For:
- Rehearsal space for dance festivals, dance events, and theatrical productions.
- Staging area for school events and dance festivals
- An additional dressing room for large productions and festivals
- Meet and greet receptions with the artists
- Multi-purpose use for community events such as music festival or cabaret events (with tables & chairs) (stand-alone rental space).
Design and Concept
- The design of the expansion will allow for access from a current hallway backstage.
- The space will also have a separate public entrance. An additional backstage entrance will resolve a key issue for the theatre during festivals, dance events, and school events. The current backstage door is very close to the stage and constant entry during these specific events via the backstage door allows sunlight to escape and be seen on stage. Entry through the current backstage door produces a rush of cold air to enter the audience chamber during the winter. (The piano storage area is also near the backstage door and there is concern about how the fluctuations in temperature affect the piano.) The new entrance will help reduce the noise level of students backstage during events.
- The design of the expansion also allows for two additional washrooms with two stalls each.
- Above the washroom space will be an area for a sound board and a lighting console.
- The expansion will have an overhead load-in door for large set pieces used in theatre productions and dance festivals.
An anonymous donor will match dollar for dollar, to a maximum of $150,000, all donations by individuals during 2020 for the Multi-Purpose Expansion project. For more information on donation matching, please contact Gwen Mottram (Foundation Chairman) at 780-808-3244.
Fundraising Target for Expansion
Funds Raised To Date
Ulmer Family Donation for Multi-Purpose Space Expansion
The Ulmer Family Foundation is giving back to the community once again with a $100,000 donation to Lloydminster Regional Theatre Foundation for a multi-purpose space expansion at Vic Juba Community Theatre. The backstage expansion will be built on the west side of the building near the Theatre’s backstage door. The approximate cost of the 3,960 sq. ft. multi-purpose space will be $1,100,000.
Ross Ulmer played a role in the design-and-build phase of Vic Juba Community Theatre which was completed between 1997 and 2002.
“Our three daughters were raised prior to the Theatre opening in 2002. Concerts and festivals were held in school gyms and spare rooms wherever they could be found! It has been a thrill to see the growth in drama, dance and music in our community and to see and hear the many touring artists at the Theatre. Growth is good news, but this growth has resulted in a very pressing need for the Vic Juba Community Theatre expansion,” says Ross Ulmer.
“The multi-purpose space expansion space will ensure that our local and regional dance, theatre, and music groups will have adequate space for their festivals and performances for another generation to come. For some time now, we have been wall-to-wall backstage during dance and school events. The multi-purpose space will also be used for meet-and-greet receptions with artists as well as community events such as music festivals and smaller cabaret concerts with tables and chairs. We are extremely appreciative of this funding support from the Ulmer Family,” says Gwen Mottram, Chair, Lloydminster Regional Theatre Foundation.
“Our family is thrilled to play a role in giving back to the community where we live and we work,” says Ross Ulmer.
Gail McDonald Donation for Multi-Purpose Space Expansion
Lloydminster Regional Theatre Foundation wishes to THANK Gail McDonald for her $75,000 donation towards the Multi-Purpose Expansion project at Vic Juba Community Theatre.
Gail McDonald says “I feel strongly that the theatre fosters a sense of community by bringing together a diverse audience through the variety of events presented. The expansion will only add to this by creating more options for community groups.”
Gwen Mottram, Chair, Lloydminster Regional Theatre Foundation, says “Gail has been a supporter of the Theatre from the beginning. She has been a volunteer, a staff member, and sponsors the Dr. H. A. McDonald Season. As a result of Gail’s active involvement at the theatre, she knows very well how crowded the Theatre can get backstage during dance season and at school Christmas concerts. We are so appreciative for Gail’s support!”
The new multi-purpose space expansion will be used for rehearsals by local dance groups, dance festivals, schools, and theatrical productions. This space will also be used for meet-and-greet receptions with touring artists as well as community events such as music festival and small cabaret events with tables and chairs. The backstage expansion will be built on the west side of the building near the Theatre’s backstage door. The approximate cost of the 3,960 sq. ft. multi-purpose space will be $1,100,000.
Connie & David Anderson
Lloydminster Concert Series Association
Vic & Ann Juba
Integra Engineering Ltd.
Lloyd Teachers Association
Remax of Lloydminster
Robertson Moskal Sarsons
Servus Credit Union
Synergy Credit Union
Lloyd Veterinary Hospital
Mark & Sonja Margerison
Mary Lou Bardoel
- Charitable receipts are issued for donations to Lloydminster Regional Theatre Foundation.
How to Give
- Send your donation to:
Lloydminster Regional Theatre Foundation
c/o Vic Juba Community Theatre
2602 59 Avenue
Who to Contact
- Gwen Mottram, Foundation Chairman, 780-808-3244
Lloydminster Regional Theatre Foundation
Canadian Registered Charity No. 136164761 RR0001